a few words about miss chelsea elizabeth...

she likes: making kites, dancing in the rain, adventures, little-while friends, letters, whole-leaf tea, crayons, bare feet, jumping in rivers/streams/creeks/waterfalls, language, catching the clock as it changes numbers, sleepovers, trains (big or small), cuddling & waking up before the sun rises, among other random things.

oregon-born, seattle-raised, bellingham-bred and franco-refined, she had moved back to the states from her affairs across the atlantic & now resides in columbia city with french husband & love of her life rémy. they spend most of their time taming the garden, taking care of their three chickens & two cats, and preparing the urban homestead for a new little chick of their own.

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

this is why i love my husband

I have always had some slightly disturbing OCD habits involving clocks. When I was younger my sisters and I invented a "game" (although for me it turned into more of an obsession) where we had to freeze in the exact position we were in any time we saw the time turn to a palendrome. So at 10:01 and then 11:11 and then 12:21 we'd be stuck in random positions throughout the house. My mom would walk into the kitchen, roll her eyes and navigate around our tiny bodies, frozen while pouring milk or drinking tea or opening the fridge.

Now I might pause for a few seconds, but it mostly just makes me smile or do a little dance of joy. And it is not just reserved for palendromes anymore. My bizarre fetish has extended to other little number games, too. My favorite of which is on the rare occasion when I catch a digital clock at 12:34.

So when I caught the clock doing just that the other day and did a little dance of triumph/joy, how surprisingly lovely that Rémy did not laugh hysterically at my weirdness but only smiled and added, "You can do better than that, you know..." I looked at him, puzzled. How? 12:34 is the only time that uses all four digits and is in order. I waited impatiently for his answer. He looked at me, possibly stunned that I couldn't figure it out on my own. "Wait until it shows 12:34 and 56 seconds," he replied.

My jaw dropped. Why had I never thought of that? I waited with increasing anticipation until the clock read 12:34:56 and just about keeled over with excitement. And my perfect husband just smiled and shook his head.

4 comments:

samantha michele said...

ur2kewt.

+

i totally want to start doing that. it's the little things in life that make it so great. like 12:34:56.

erin said...

I want to see you guys!

:(

erin said...

and for your "foreign" films, you should really watch something Finnish, because Finland is amazing. and so I Kaurismaki. (I'd recommend "Ariel." but don't read a description on-line because it gives everything away.)

Mrs. Sterlings said...

you're so cute..
by doing that :D